If this page doesn’t display correctly click here for the WWW version


An all-time record in procrastination! I manage to get out the past year annual ‘blog’ only on 1-May!! All the more annoying as I had even achieved sorting out the 2010 holiday snaps over the Christmas break and was all set to go when…

… the early days of January saw Yvonne fall ill leading to a fortnight in hospital with a serious virus and infection. To some extent she has yet to quite return to her normal self. On the plus side she’s been closely monitored ever since. As is stands now no longer is there specific cause for concern i.e. for her immune system, which had been deficient.

Throughout all that my father was in Kendal hospital rehabilitating from pneumonia. He was moved eventually and directly to a care home in Surrey about a month ago. Their home is sold almost, the proceeds to procure a flat close to him for my mother in Frimley. Meantime 4-Jan I kicked off a work project, intense as always, which ends 3-May. (Two days later I complete ten years at Capgemini.).

The 2010 water is so well under the bridge now it’s pointless to ‘blog’ on about it. In any event on reflection probably the year held less of note than usual: Holidays sadly limited to two, one a mere five days. Also fewer than usual long-weekends away as a source of anecdotes.

Our reduced roaming afield was mitigated some by looking closer to home. New Year resolutions included renewing interest in oft over-looked life and times of our locale. My disjointed ramblings on some odd and out-of-the-way delights of London Town can be found on my Facebook. Contrary to old wives tales and urban myths … it will not do you any harm to join (if you haven’t already ;). For those who don’t some content is reproduced via links on our homepage.

I have to say year 2010 commenced in an appalling sad manner. (I hope this years January events building on last don’t indicate a developing trend!). Returning to work after the ’09 Christmas break I found a dear colleague, a perfectly fit 50-something, had contracted swine-flu and died due to an under-lying condition: 22nd January was the most dismal of days, exacerbated by a driving East Yorkshire squall throughout the grim interment. Tony RIP - Ride in Peace (he was a great horseman.).

The year highlights indubitably were the short trip to Milan mid-June for the Alfa Romeo Centenary celebrations. And the longer journey to and through Java in Sept/Oct. Of which a brief photo-travelogue as usual on “John & Yvonne .com”, specifically at: http://www.johntowen.com/album/

It was end-October only a fortnight after return from Indonesia that my father first was admitted to hospital. Following that I spent a couple of weeks staying with my mother in Burton village (while trying to ‘work remotely’ despite patchy internet connectivity).

In the remaining run up to Christmas was glad to catch a number of class gigs including Goldfrapp (Hammersmith Apollo) and Echo & The Bunnymen (Brixton Academy). Most fun of all: The Noisettes ‘christmas show’ at Electric Ballroom, Camden. See some real time mobile phone video footage duly posted to my Facebook J

Hope to hear your news and views too whenever you have a chance.

Fond Regards, John & Yvonne

London, 1-May-2011